You guys! I cooked. And I cooked healthy stuffed bell peppers for 8 people nonetheless! This was my first time really cooking (like following a recipe I had never cooked before) since the baby was born, so I’m feeling quite proud of myself. We hosted a dinner party (8 adults, 5 children – it was beautiful chaos) so I found this recipe on Pinterest and made a few of my own tweaks. It’s super easy and turned out great, so thought I’d share.
- (4) bell peppers
- (1) package of quinoa/rice blend (I used Near East’s blend of Quinoa and Brown Rice with Red Bell Pepper flavoring)
- (1) pound ground turkey
- (1) large onion
- (1) 14 oz. can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- (1) 14 oz. can fire roasted tomatoes
- (1) 7 oz. can diced green chilis
- (1) packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 TB olive oil
- 1/2 cup mozzarella shredded cheese
- 3/4 cup water
Note: I doubled these quantities for a party of 8.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a LARGE saucepan. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add in ground turkey meat and cook until browned. Drain all of the excess grease.
- In a separate pan, cook quinoa/rice blend according to box instructions until done.
- In the meat pan, add in black beans, tomatoes, green chilies, water, and taco seasoning packet. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium/low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add cooked quinoa, once ready.
- Cut red bell peppers in half length wise, remove ribs and place in baking dish.
- Spoon in ingredient mixture and top with grated mozzarella cheese. Cover pan with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with sour cream, salsa and fresh avocados.