Rookie Mom Challenge #10 : Paint Your Baby’s Feet onto Pottery
I had been wanting to try the Rookie Mom’s Activity #6 (Painting your baby’s feet onto Pottery) for a while now, but I wasn’t sure where to complete this fun activity. While I was driving in San Elijo one day, a storefront sign caught my eye: A Colorful Universe. When I got home I looked it up online and lo and behold, this was just the place to complete this challenge! I was so impressed with the little shop that I even turned this Rookie Mom outing into a group affair and invited my mommy group members and their babes to join in on the fun.
A Colorful Universe
A Colorful Universe was so accommodating from the start. I would assume that any business that hears “Yes, it will be 15 moms and 15 babies (all under 5 months) in our party” is a little hesitant to take on such a group, but A Colorful Universe couldn’t wait to host us. When you first walk in the little shop, you immediately notice the fun, bright atmosphere and shelves and shelves of pottery options available for your choosing (coffee mugs, piggy banks, plates, tiles, dinosaur figurines and much, much more.) I loved this because they were all different price points, so you could choose something based on your budget.
I chose two coffee cups, one that said, “I love Mom” and the other that said “I love Dad”. My tiny assistant helped me paint the base coat (holding a squirming infant while painting pottery is sort of like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time – extremely difficult – but we managed!)
By the time we were ready to paint her little foot and place it on the back of the mug, Blake was fast asleep – which actually worked to my advantage and made the foot print step quite easy! One of the store managers, Desirae, was so wonderful and helped each mom with the foot print, making sure it did, in fact, look like a foot print, and not some oval blob.
All in all it was a very successful Rookie Mom Challenge and I’m also adding it to my running list of fun things to do with babies in San Diego!
More Details about A Colorful Universe in San Elijo:
- Studio Fees: $6 (this includes paints and paint supplies, glazing and firing)
- Pottery Pieces Range from $7 – $40
- Hours: 10AM – 6PM, 7 days a week
- Walk Ins Welcome
- Paints are non-toxic and dishwasher safe (brilliant!)
- Pieces are usually ready 1 week after you paint them in the studio (after they glaze and fire them)
- They love hosting parties: kids parties, adult parties or big groups (like my mommy group)
- They offer fun Kids Camps!
- They offer Ladies Night Out (bring your own wine and food and get ready to paint!) – yes, please!
- Address: 1523 San Elijo Rd. Ste. 106, San Marcos, CA 92078
- Contact: 760.761.0476 or email@example.com or visit their website