As I’ve mentioned before, I love being a part of the San Diego Mom’s Night Out team! Such a fun group of supportive women. And we all have young children, so when we schedule a “team meeting”, of course the little ones are included! During this particular get together we visited Hello Betty Fish House in Oceanside.
Upon entering this San Diego restaurant you immediately release the stresses of the day and forget any worries weighing down on your mind because, chill out dude, you’ve entered surfers’ paradise. And get ready, because good vibes, ocean air, freshly caught fish and cold drinks are in your immediate future. Old surf pictures line the walls, and you can hear the ocean through wide open doors and windows facing the surf just across the way. Sit inside or outside, it doesn’t matter, because every seat in the house feels like you’re outdoors, experiencing the most epic summer of surfing of your life. Plus, any restaurant that blasts Kings of Leon gets an A+ in my book.
The Low Down
- Fresh Fish to Start: Be prepared to split some fantastic appetizers – they all come in sharable sizes and you’d be doing yourself a disservice to order just one! We tried the Shrimp and Cheese stuffed Jalapeno wrapped in bacon (I know – it was insane), Baja Stone Crab and Cheese Dip and Ahi Tuna Poke. Fresh fish and bold flavors – my kind of eats!
- Service with a Smile: The service we received mirrored the vibe of the place – friendly and laid back. We asked our waitress for recommendations and she did not steer us wrong throughout the lunch.
- Channel Your Inner Paparazzi: Come equipped with a camera to take photos of your little one (or you) inside of the Hello Betty Fish House’s sparkly gold beach dune buggy, parked right inside the restaurant (her name is Coco). I’m not sure which I loved more – the car or the sign on the car, that read, “All unattended children will be given an espresso and a kitten.” Hilarious!
- Fizzy Fruity Drinks: If this was a dinner or late afternoon meet up, you know I would have tried a frosty margarita or a cold beer from their extensive craft brew list, but I opted for a lunch appropriate pick, a Grapefruit soda. It reminded me of a squirt but with a slight grapefruit taste – delicious and refreshing.
- Fish & Chips: For lunch I ordered the fish and chips because I consider myself a fish and chips connoisseur – they did not disappoint – crispy and tasty.
- Ocean Views & Top Gun: After lunch we toured the upstairs patio complete with sweeping views of the Pacific. If you’re looking for an amazing spot to host your next party, look no further – this patio can be rented out for private events. Also, the house from the movie, Top Gun, (cue, Take My Breath Away) is directly across the street! Best.Movie.Ever.
My Favorite Part
Visit Hello Betty Fish House:
211 Mission Avenue Oceanside, California 92054
Disclaimer: I received complimentary food and beverage to review this venue. All opinions are my own and The Mommy Project, San Diego only shares businesses that we can honestly recommend.