I’ve been on a new recipe kick lately because I’m trying to enforce “family dinners” where my husband and I both sit down with our toddler and enjoy the same meal together. We have a picky little eater, so I usually scour Pinterest for new recipes that I think she might like.
I’m also all about convenience these days. Any mom with a toddler knows that cooking needs to be fast and easy with a little one “helping” in the kitchen. Oh, I see you took all of the pots and pans out of the cabinet again – really, you shouldn’t have. Any recipe with more than 10 ingredients or that requires more than 2 pots/pans (and excess dishes for later) gets cut from our weekly dinners.
That’s why I love this easy slow cooker recipe with chicken, quinoa and sweet potatoes. It is bursting with flavor but also includes mostly healthy ingredients to fuel the whole family. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think!
Healthy Slow Cooker Recipe:
- 2 big pieces of organic boneless, skinles chicken breasts
- 1 package of quinoa + seasoning (I used the Olive Oil and Rosemary flavor)
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 can (14.5 oz) organic petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 oz) organic black beans
- 5 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 packet of organic chili seasoning
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes.
- Drain and rinse black beans.
- Add: chicken breasts, quinoa + seasoning, cubed sweet potatoes, rinsed black beans, petite diced tomatoes can, minced garlic, chicken broth and chili seasoning.
- Place on high for about 4 hours.
- After 4 hours, use fork to shred the chicken while still in the slow cooker, then mix all together and serve immediately.
- That’s it!