As I’ve mentioned before, I love being a part of the San Diego Mom’s Night Out team! Such a fun group of supportive women. And we all have young children, so when we schedule a “team meeting”, of course the little ones are included! During this particular get together we visited Hello Betty Fish House in Oceanside.
Upon entering this San Diego restaurant you immediately release the stresses of the day and forget any worries weighing down on your mind because, chill out dude, you’ve entered surfers’ paradise. And get ready, because good vibes, ocean air, freshly caught fish and cold drinks are in your immediate future. Old surf pictures line the walls, and you can hear the ocean through wide open doors and windows facing the surf just across the way. Sit inside or outside, it doesn’t matter, because every seat in the house feels like you’re outdoors, experiencing the most epic summer of surfing of your life. Plus, any restaurant that blasts Kings of Leon gets an A+ in my book.
The Low Down
- Fresh Fish to Start: Be prepared to split some fantastic appetizers – they all come in sharable sizes and you’d be doing yourself a disservice to order just one! We tried the Shrimp and Cheese stuffed Jalapeno wrapped in bacon (I know – it was insane), Baja Stone Crab and Cheese Dip and Ahi Tuna Poke. Fresh fish and bold flavors – my kind of eats!
- Service with a Smile: The service we received mirrored the vibe of the place – friendly and laid back. We asked our waitress for recommendations and she did not steer us wrong throughout the lunch.
- Channel Your Inner Paparazzi: Come equipped with a camera to take photos of your little one (or you) inside of the Hello Betty Fish House’s sparkly gold beach dune buggy, parked right inside the restaurant (her name is Coco). I’m not sure which I loved more – the car or the sign on the car, that read, “All unattended children will be given an espresso and a kitten.” Hilarious!
- Fizzy Fruity Drinks: If this was a dinner or late afternoon meet up, you know I would have tried a frosty margarita or a cold beer from their extensive craft brew list, but I opted for a lunch appropriate pick, a Grapefruit soda. It reminded me of a squirt but with a slight grapefruit taste – delicious and refreshing.
- Fish & Chips: For lunch I ordered the fish and chips because I consider myself a fish and chips connoisseur – they did not disappoint – crispy and tasty.
- Ocean Views & Top Gun: After lunch we toured the upstairs patio complete with sweeping views of the Pacific. If you’re looking for an amazing spot to host your next party, look no further – this patio can be rented out for private events. Also, the house from the movie, Top Gun, (cue, Take My Breath Away) is directly across the street! Best.Movie.Ever.
My Favorite Part
Probably the overall vibe of this place – it just screams summer time and exudes good energy. And of course, I loved when Blake made this face when I put her in the driver’s seat of the dune buggy:
Visit Hello Betty Fish House:
211 Mission Avenue Oceanside, California 92054
Disclaimer: I received complimentary food and beverage to review this venue. All opinions are my own and The Mommy Project, San Diego only shares businesses that we can honestly recommend.
I’ll always remember this Whine & Dine at Pacific Coast Grill because this was my first Mother’s Day celebration! The hubby did good! Pacific Coast Grill literally sits on the sand in Cardiff-by-the-Sea with outdoor patios on the first and second floor. Really, there’s not a bad seat in the house. From large bay windows all you see is sandy beaches, blue ocean water and some built-in entertainment watching the surfers and kite surfers cruise by. This place exudes a true San Diego ambiance.
The Low Down
- Super friendly service. We eat at Pacific Coast Grill about once a month. The manager, Ryan, recognized us when we walked in and warmly welcomed us back – we were very impressed and the small gesture made us feel like valued patrons. Our waitress was also extremely accommodating.
- Appetizers that don’t disappoint. We always order the regular guacamole as an appetizer to start because it’s phenomenal. On this day we decided to upgrade and go with the Lobster and Dungeness Crab Guacamole – essentially the same amazing guacamole covered in big chunks of lobster and crab. Heaven!
- Pink Drinks. No PCG brunch is complete without a Blood Orange Mimosa or a glass of Rosé. I had a glass of each because it was Mother’s Day and I was parched.
- Fresh Fish. Going to PCG and not ordering some sort of fish dish is like going to Napa and not ordering wine -it’s just inexcusable! I ordered the Spicy Tuna Roll with tempura jalapeno – absolutely incredible! – my husband ordered the Surf & Turf roll with seared steak, and my sister ordered the Pan Seared Sea Bass. I had a bite of everything and it was all amazing. I’m still dreaming about this Spicy Tuna roll.
- A Dessert to Remember. When it was time for dessert the Butterscotch Granny Smith Apple Pie with Tahitian vanilla gelato caught my eye and yes, it was just as incredible as it sounds. Imagine chunks of butterscotch baked into the warm pie and then topped with the cold vanilla gelato. Perfection.
My Favorite Part
Hands down the Apple Pie! Oh, and after lunch Blake insisted on wearing her new heart sunglasses (they’re adorable) and we all walked out onto the sand right behind Pacific Coast Grill to take this little gem of a picture. Successful Mother’s Day with my beautiful family and great food!
Pacific Coast Grill
2526 S. Coast Hwy 101
I’m so excited to have joined the team over at San Diego Mom’s Night Out. SDMNO is a site dedicated to connecting mothers through an online network and in-person events throughout Southern California. As moms, we wear so many hats and give so much of ourselves day in and day out, this site encourages us to take a break every now and then and enjoy a Mom’s Night Out! I’ll cheers to that!
As a monthly Contributing Editor, I’ll be scouring San Diego for the best venues, restaurants, spas, activities, wineries, breweries, etc. to recommend to moms who are looking for a fun night out. (Suggestions are always welcome, please email: MommyProjectSD@gmail.com)
Be sure to follow along over at San Diego Mom’s Night Out and on The Mommy Project, San Diego’s Instagram to find out about our city’s best places to unwind and have some fun. And check out the two restaurants I’ve visited so far (both amazing!):
Lucky Liu’s Review (Gaslamp Quarter)
Solterra Winery & Kitchen Review (Leucadia)